Monday, June 30, 2014

Skandia Midsommar 2014

Yesterday, we went to Skandia Midsommar Festival at Saint Edward State Park. First off, I love that park, it is beautiful, has lake front beach, trails, large grassy fields, huge playground. Second, I love folky stuff, especially Scandinavian and there were many authentic costumes to oogle over since Skandia is a folk dance group. I have been learning more about traditional Icelandic costumes (you must check out that link!),  and it was great to see the similarities and differences between the Swedish and Norwegian ones. However, there were no Icelandic costumes, so I will take the challenge to make something wearable by next Midsommar to show off. Most likely it will be the peysufot since that is the simplest and has elements I can use in all the other costumes. My goal is to eventually make the 18th Century Faldbuningur, 19th Century Upphlutur, and 19th Century Peysufot. It's very ambitious, and who knows where I will end up in the process, but we will see. I love folky stuff and felt a connection to the Icelandic Costumes.
Here are some photos from the event:
 I liked the Viking booth. Great costumes, props, interactive peg making and grain grinder.

 Viking stone grinder and sifting bowls.
 Kids Maypole: 
 Buckets of flowers to make flower crowns: 

 The maypole before decoration:
 The musical procession:
 Wreath bearers:
 Garland bearers:
 Beautiful (Estonian?) costume:
 Decorating the maypole:
 Audience participation to raise the maypole:
 Dancing
Costume presentation:
These Norwegian ones were my favorite. I liked the intricately embroidered yoke with full skirt attached above the bust line. Optional belt. The grandma in the center had a lot of silver jewelry somewhat similar to the Icelandic style.
 Showing how the felted skirt border (to make the skirt spin while dancing) can also be used as a rain hood.
Little (Norwegian) embroidered dress.
 Troll sightings
Various goods for sale. I liked the cross stitch panels.
 I was tempted to buy these wooden food tools ... and regret not doing so.
Various 'viking' dry goods.
Happy Midsommar!
Here's to a new year inspired by folk embroidery.

No comments: