Monday, January 26, 2009

Tuberia furfuracea

A few weeks ago Luke Bayler, a Phd student in the lab, said he had been seeing a lot of Tuberia furfuracea on campus. I said, "Oh, hmmm, I don't know that one..."

Then, Brandon Methini, A former Phd student from our lab was visiting and said "Oh, that Tuberia furfuracea poster, i remember that!"

Then I found a mushroom in the UW permaculture garden and brough it to Joe Ammirati and he said "Oh, you've got Tuberia furfuracea."

Finally!

That is how I know I will not forget this mushroom.



It is small and orange-brown, turning pink-creme as it dries out (hygrophanous). These dried out about 30 minutes after I picked them.-see below-

The cap is translucent striate, meaning you can see the gills through the cap.-see below-

A very small, thin veil leaves remnant scales and flakes on the cap margin (edge).-see below-

Not all gills are attached to the stipe; there are two short and one medium length gill for every full length one. -see below-

Tuberia furfuracea is actually a species group, I found the cold weather species which comes out all winter as the snow melts.

No comments: